Studies show patients value advice from their health care providers; therefore, health care providers have a unique opportunity to influence their patients' health habits. In addition to providing treatment, health care providers can partner with patients around basic prevention of disease to reduce existing cardiovascular disease (CVD) as well as prevent major risk factors from developing.
Providers can have a significant impact on their patients' health by educating and counseling patients to:
- Monitor and control their blood pressure and cholesterol
- Know the signs and symptoms of heart attack and stroke and the need to call 911
- Set goals and make healthy lifestyle changes such as quitting smoking, getting regular physical activity, eating a heart-healthy diet, and maintaining a healthy weight.
Participation in clinical practice improvement initiatives can support health care providers in addressing overall systems change. Implementation of improvements in the delivery of care and integration of evidenced-based guidelines in treatment of patients with cardiovascular disease and CVD risk factors will have a substantial impact on the quality of care in a clinical practice.
Hiding in Plain Sight: Patients with Undiagnosed Hypertension
Improvements in hypertension control must occur to reduce preventable heart attack and strokes. However, improvements can only occur if all patients with hypertension are promptly identified, accurately diagnosed and provided with evidence-based treatment and support.
To learn more review:
- Hiding in Plain Sight infographic
- American Medical Association's article on Patients with Undiagnosed Hypertension
The Maine Cardiovascular Health Program has created an inventory of materials available for you to view and print. Our program has created the majority of materials but we also offer some resources developed by other state or national organizations.
- 7 Salty Myths Graphic
- American Heart Association
- Blood Pressure Wallet Card
- FDA Blood Pressure Infographic
- Manual Blood Pressure Directions
- Million Hearts Action Guide- Hypertension Control: Change Package for Clinicians
- Protocol for Controlling Hypertension in Adults
- The ABCDSs of Cardiovascular Disease
- The Detection and Management of High Blood Pressure: Online Training Program